Almost daily I am instructing people on a different and hopefully better way of walking.
The Basic Rules are:
• Organise your core so your pelvis is efficient.
• Balance the leg and hip muscles especially thigh and gluteal muscles.
• The knees should be kept soft when landing and not landing with a straight leg.
• The feet should be almost parallel.
• The fulcrum for the movement should be through the pelvis.
What I have found is that most people have had some experience of good movement from some earlier sport or activity and have not transferred that experience of movement into their current life activities. Extensive sitting has a lot to answer for.
The body skill set for posture and movement is mostly developed before the age of 8. Sadly, I find some people have some missing skill sets and they need more intense retraining to get them to experience walking lightly.